Vaginal dryness during and after the menopause
Vaginal dryness during the menopause is common and affects almost one in two women over the age of 45.* Symptoms can be mild to severe, ranging from a feeling of vaginal dryness, burning, itching and pain. The condition can often have a big physical and psychological impact on a woman’s everyday life.
However, the menopause is a completely normal process that every woman goes through in her life - and fortunately many symptoms, such as vaginal dryness, can be easily relieved.
Symptoms of vaginal dryness:
- Feeling of dryness
- Pain (e.g. during sex, but also during everyday situations such as sitting or cycling)
- Light bleeding under the skin (petechia) (not only connected to sex)
What can help provide relief for vaginal dryness during the menopause?
There are both hormone-containing and hormone-free preparations available for the treatment of vaginal dryness.
However, hormone preparations are only available on prescription and must be prescribed.
Hormone-free preparations are often available off the shelf, in your local pharmacies in cream, gel and suppository formulations.
- prescription vaginal creams or suppositories help to replenish oestrogen deficiency
- hormones are released directly into the local area of application or into the bloodstream
- hormone-containing formulations are not recommended for use in pregnancy, during breastfeeding or radiation therapy
Hormone free treatment:
- hormone-free creams, gels and suppositories are available for sale in pharmacies
- provide local relief of the condition
- used regularly they additionally prevent dry skin and skin irritations in the genital area
- can be used by all women including during pregnancy, breastfeeding or during cancer therapy
Should you choose a hormone-free cream or a gel for vaginal dryness?
There is a huge amount of choice for hormone-free treatments for the condition including creams, suppositories and gels.
But how do you know which one to choose?
Gels are usually aqueous preparations which means they can sometimes be harsher on the skin. When condoms are used for contraception, water-based gels must usually be used.
Dr. Wolff`s Vagisan Moisturising Cream not only moisturises and soothes the skin in the genital area but also provides it with nourishing lipids (fats). Skin is left feeling pleasantly supple and it is a great way to enjoy smoother sex.
Dr. Wolff`s Vagisan Moisturising Cream for vaginal dryness
The hormone-free cream provides moisture AND soothing lipids to the dry and sensitive skin in the vagina leaving it pleasantly supple.
Not only can this lessen the impact of vaginal dryness on daily life, it can also help improve the pleasure of sex. Clinical studies*** have confirmed the efficacy and tolerability of Dr. Wolff`s Vagisan Moisturising Cream for the treatment of vaginal dryness.
Findings showed it successfully relieves mild to moderate symptoms.
*** Stute P et al. Efficacy and safety of non-hormonal remedies for vaginal dryness: open, prospective, randomized trial. Climacteric 2015; 18:582-589;
*** Chatsiproios D et al. Topical treatment of vaginal dryness with a non-hormonal cream in women undergoing breast cancer treatment - An open prospective multicenter study. PLOS ONE. 2019; 14(1):e0210967.